The Ultimate Guide to Online Job Applications
Are you finding it tough to navigate the world of online job applications? With over 70% of the job application process now happening online, it's no surprise that many find this transition challenging.
This comprehensive guide is here to simplify your path to employment by providing essential tips on everything from creating an appealing resume to understanding complex Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS).
Let's dive in and demystify how you can land a job through online platforms.
Understanding Online Job Applications
Online job applications are easy to fill out. Most times, they save your time and effort. This way of applying for jobs is liked a lot by companies. You fill out a form on the company's website or on job sites like Monster or Indeed.
These forms ask for details about you. It needs info about your past jobs and your skills. Your resume should be up-to-date with no errors before you start filling these forms out.
Make sure to read the job description well when you apply online!
Preparing to Apply for Jobs Online
Revamp your resume and other job search tools before applying for jobs online.
Revamping your resume and other job search tools
Your resume needs a new look for online job searches. Here is how you can do it:
- Keep your resume up-to-date: Make sure you add all recent jobs, skills, and awards.
- Include a cover letter: Some jobs want a cover letter with the resume. Write about why you want the job and why they should hire you.
- List your job history: Add all old jobs to your online applications. You need to tell them job titles, dates, and how much money you made.
- Show off your skills: Use the skills section of your resume to impress employers. Hard skills like computer and technical skills are important. Soft skills like teamwork and leadership also matter.
- Do an employment test: Some jobs ask you to take an online test when you apply. The test could be about your talents or how you think and feel.
- Prepare a sample form: Having a sample job application form helps to fill out online applications faster.
- Sign up on job sites: Job sites like Monster or LinkedIn can help in your job search.
- Use employment records: Employment records show where and when you worked before.
- Resume companies can help revamp resumes too.
Preparing your employment records and other credentials
It is key to get your employment records and other papers in order for online job applications. Here are steps you can follow:
- Start by creating a fresh resume. Your resume should show your latest jobs, skills, and achievements.
- Have all your job details with you. This includes titles, dates of work, and pay data.
- Get copies of any papers that show you have the skills or learning needed for the jobs you want.
- If the job wants it, write a cover letter. This letter should tell why you are right for this job.
- Always keep on hand a sample job application form. This helps to make filling out forms easier and faster.
- Some jobs may ask for an online test. Be ready to take these tests as part of your application.
- Check all the details in every paper before you send them off with your application.
Using Job Search Engines
Create accounts on popular job search engines, post your resume to increase visibility, and utilize relevant job search keywords to find the most suitable positions.
Creating accounts on job search engines
Making an account on job search sites is easy. Here are the steps:
- Choose a job search engine like Indeed or Monster.
- Go to their website.
- Look for a "Sign Up" button.
- Click on it.
- Fill in your details like name, email, and password.
- Some sites may ask for your job interests or skills.
- After filling everything in, click on "Create Account".
- Most sites will send you an email to check if it's really you.
- Go to your email and click the link they sent.
Posting your resume on job search engines
Job seekers can post their resumes on job search engines. Here is how it works:
- Find a top job search engine. Monster and LinkedIn are good choices.
- Create an account on the site.
- Upload your resume to your profile.
- Add hard skills, soft skills, and technical skills.
- Set up job alerts for new job postings that match your interests.
Using job search keywords
Job search keywords are important. They help to find the right jobs online. These words match your skills and interests with job posts. Use keywords in your online job search on sites like Monster or LinkedIn.
This can make your hunt for a job quicker and easier. For example, if you have web design skills, use 'web designer' as a keyword. Sites then show you all the jobs that need this skill.
Applying for Jobs on Company Websites
You can apply for jobs straight on company websites. Here's what you need to do:
- Look up the firm's job openings: Go to the company's website first. Find their career page, and see what job listings are there.
- Read about each job: Look at each job title on the listing. Click on it, and read its description and needs.
- Check if you meet the requirements: See if your skills fit with what they want.
- Fill up the job application form: Find the form on their site. Fill in all the needed details, like your name, address, and email.
- Add your employment history: List down all of your past jobs here. Include things like when you worked and how much you got paid.
- Upload your resume and cover letter: Make sure these are up-to-date before sending them.
- Double check everything: Review all that you have put in so far for any mistakes.
- Click "Submit": You may spot this as a button or link on their site.
Email Job Applications: Dos and Don'ts
Email Job Applications: Dos and Don'ts
- Use a professional email address that includes your full name.
- Write a clear and concise subject line that mentions the position you are applying for.
- Address the recipient by their name, if possible. If not, use a generic greeting like "Dear Hiring Manager."
- Keep your email message short and to the point. Avoid using long paragraphs or unnecessary information.
- Use proper grammar, punctuation, and capitalization in your email. Avoid using text abbreviations or slang language.
- Attach your resume and any other required documents as PDF files. Make sure the file names are clear and organized.
- Proofread your email before sending it to check for any spelling or grammatical errors.
- Follow any specific instructions provided by the employer regarding the email application process.
- Be respectful and professional in your tone throughout the email.
- Express your interest in the position and briefly highlight relevant qualifications or experiences.
Understanding Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS)
Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) streamline the job application process by automatically screening resumes and identifying qualified candidates based on specific criteria set by employers.
How they work
Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) are software tools used by recruiters to manage job applications. When you submit your application online, it goes through the ATS, which collects and organizes the information.
The ATS then uses algorithms to filter, rank, and sort the applications based on specific keywords and criteria set by the hiring manager. This helps recruiters handle large volumes of applications more efficiently.
Some ATS even create comprehensive candidate profiles using publicly available information like your digital footprint. They may also make predictions about your performance and fit for the job based on this information.
Common ATS features
Common ATS features include:
- Resume parsing: ATS can extract and organize resume information into structured data, making it easier for recruiters to review.
- Automatic matching algorithms: Many ATS use these algorithms to rank applicants based on keywords and criteria set by hiring managers.
- Filtering capabilities: ATS can filter out applications that don't meet certain criteria or qualifications, narrowing down the pool of candidates for further consideration.
- Resume storage: ATS store resumes in their databases for future matching, allowing recruiters to access them for other job openings in the future.
- Application tracking: ATS provides a centralized system for recruiters to track the progress of each application, ensuring that no candidate is overlooked.
- Communication tools: Some ATS include built-in communication tools, such as email templates or messaging systems, to streamline the communication between recruiters and applicants.
- Integration with job boards and career sites: ATS can automatically post job openings on various job boards and career sites, expanding the reach of job postings and attracting more potential candidates.
- Reporting and analytics: Some advanced ATS offer reporting and analytics features that allow recruiters to track key metrics related to their hiring process, such as time-to-fill or source effectiveness.
How to Stand Out in Online Job Searches
Stand out in online job searches by auditing your online presence, using AI to create the perfect resume, and making yourself visible to potential employers.
Auditing your online presence
Auditing your online presence is important when applying for jobs online. Here are some steps you can take:
- Google yourself to see what information comes up in the search results.
- Review your social media profiles and settings to ensure that they present a professional image.
- Clean up any inappropriate or unprofessional posts or photos that may be visible to potential employers.
- Update your LinkedIn profile with relevant work experience, skills, and accomplishments.
- Use privacy settings on social media platforms to control who can see your posts and personal information.
- Consider creating a professional website or blog to showcase your skills and achievements.
- Remove any outdated or irrelevant information from your online profiles.
- Regularly monitor your digital footprint to ensure that any new content is consistent with your professional image.
Using AI to create the perfect resume
When it comes to creating the perfect resume, artificial intelligence (AI) can be a helpful tool. AI-powered resume builders use advanced algorithms and data analysis to optimize your resume for greater chances of success.
These platforms analyze keywords, formatting, and content to determine what recruiters are looking for. By incorporating AI into your resume creation process, you can improve its visibility and ensure that it aligns with the requirements set by applicant tracking systems (ATS).
With 98% of Fortune 500 companies using ATS during their hiring process, leveraging AI can give you an edge in standing out from other applicants. So instead of solely relying on your own instincts and abilities when crafting your resume, consider utilizing technology to enhance its effectiveness.
Making people come to you
One way to stand out in online job searches is by making people come to you. By auditing your online presence and ensuring that it accurately reflects your skills and experience, you can attract potential employers.
Utilizing AI technology to create the perfect resume can also help catch the attention of hiring managers. Additionally, creating accounts on job sites like Monster or LinkedIn and posting your resume or candidate profile online can increase your visibility in the job market.
These strategies increase the likelihood of employers finding you and reaching out with exciting career opportunities. So, don't just apply for jobs – make yourself visible and let employers come to you!
Following up on your Online Job Application
To increase your chances of getting a job, it is important to follow up on your online job application. Here are some tips for effective follow-up:
- Send a thank - you email or note to the hiring manager or recruiter after submitting your application.
- Wait for a reasonable amount of time before reaching out, usually around one to two weeks.
- In your follow - up message, express your continued interest in the position and inquire about the status of your application.
- Keep your communication professional and concise, focusing on expressing gratitude and reiterating why you are a good fit for the role.
- Use LinkedIn to connect with professionals at the company. This can help you stay on their radar and potentially gain insider information about the hiring process.
- If you haven't heard back after following up once, consider reaching out again after another week or two. Persistence can show your enthusiasm and commitment.
- Be polite and respectful in all interactions, even if you don't receive a response. It's important to maintain a positive reputation throughout the job search process.
- Following up on your online job application is important to increase your chances of getting a job.
- Many job applications are now completed online through employer websites or job boards.
Get that Job!
Applying for jobs through online platforms has become the norm in today's digital age. To increase your chances of success, make sure to revamp your resume and gather all necessary employment records before starting the application process.
Utilize job search engines and post your resume online to boost visibility. Additionally, understanding applicant tracking systems and standing out in online searches can give you an edge over other candidates.
Lastly, don't forget to follow up on your applications to demonstrate your enthusiasm and interest in the position. Good luck!
Related Topics: You may also be interested in learning about navigating job offers and negotiations on online platforms, understanding job listings what to look for and comparing different job search platforms.
Crystal Rose is a spirited digital nomad and lifestyle blogger, advocating for remote work and independent living. A bold dream chaser, Crystal swapped the traditional 9-5 grind for a laptop and a worldwide adventure. She passionately shares her insights on work-life balance, productivity, and travel through her blog. Known for her feisty writing and honest advice, she empowers readers to embrace freedom and create their own dream life.